Serves: 6 as a side dish
Steel cut oats make a great savory side dish. It can also become a main course either as is or with the addition of some cooked meats or cubes of tofu.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- ½ cup finely diced carrot
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 cup fennel bulb, quartered, core removed, and cut into ¼-inch slices across the fiber
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon MSG
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch dried thyme leaf
- 3 cups low-sodium, low-fat beef, chicken, or vegetable broth
- ½ cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
- Chopped fresh herbs as available
- Place oats on a baking sheet and place in a 350° F oven for about 25 minutes or until the oats turn a light brown and smell nutty. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- In a medium saucepan, sauté onion and carrot in oil until softened and lightly browned.
- Add garlic and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add fennel, salt, MSG, black pepper, toasted oats, thyme, and broth. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 45-50 minutes stirring occasionally until the oats are tender.
- Add cheese and herbs as available. Serve.