These eggs can ideally be served in ramekins or small cocotte dishes. They can also be served on small plates along with a piece of toast. This dish makes for a decadent treat and is great for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner.
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon MSG (for mushrooms)
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk, half and half, or heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon MSG (for eggs)
- Couple of pinches ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons butter (cold and cut into small pieces)
- 3 oz. thinly sliced cold smoked salmon, cut into thin strips
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, MSG, salt, and pepper.
- Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in a sauté pan over moderate heat.
- When the butter starts to froth, add eggs. Cook while stirring gently.
- When the eggs are cooked with small curds that are still soft and moist, remove from the pan and add remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter. Mix to melt the butter and prevent the eggs from cooking more.
- Scoop eggs into the 3 ramakins or cocotte dishes that are filled with mushrooms.
- Top with smoked salmon and serve immediately.